Building a Mom Tribe
Building a mom tribe can be tough. I was the first of my closest friends to have a baby and it was rather isolating. My friends tried so hard to be supportive and understanding of my new life, but, with a colicky baby and very few places to turn I was on the island of motherhood, alone.
I quickly learned that finding mom friends is like a bad blind date, just instead of wine as a buffer you have kids. I recently found an app called Peanut that is like tinder for moms..... that is how hard it is to find mom friends, we need a damn mom dating app! Don't get me wrong, I joined, but it just felt wrong and I have yet to use it. So while I am still actively taking applications for a spot in my mom tribe (must love wine, coffee, and nap time). I thought I'd highlight the parts of the tribe I find the most crucial for a new mom.
- The veteran mom: the mom with 2+ kids who tells it like it is, doesn't sweat the small stuff, and can spot chicken pox from a blurry photo of a baby crawling full speed ahead the opposite direction of the camera.
- Hot mess mom: I am fairly certain I am this friend for a lot of people, but hey, I need some of y'all in my life too.
- Friends who live in your phone. I have a lot of these and you know who you are! These are friends who you either never get a chance to see or met on the internet. You don't have to get ready to meet them but they are always there.
- Working mom friend (or stay at home mom friend if you are a working mom): this friend puts it all in perspective. Since I'm a stay at home mom, I need my working mom friends to remind me how freaking hard that life is, but I also need to live vicariously through her booming career and pretend not to be a little (or a lot) jealous.
- Friends without kids/pre mom life friends: these ladies are the ones who force the girls night even though you don't even want to go but always have the best time when you do. They remind you that you were someone before you became a mom.
So after being a stay at home mom for going on 18 months, I finally feel like I have a great tribe built up. The BEST part is now some of my pre mom life friends are joining me on this wild journey through motherhood, and I get to say "I told you so!" JK i never say that out loud, I just secretly think it in my head all the time.
I'd like to give a HUGE shoutout to my favorite trendy online boutique for helping to keep this hot mess mama stylish. I adore my comfy dress from Pink Blush. Click the link below to shop the styles from this post or check out all they have to offer at Pretty in Pink Blush